Friday, April 27, 2012

Xenophile...X Marks the Spot: A to Z Blogging Challenge




Dictionary.com defines "Xenophile" as: 'a person who is attracted to foreign peoples, cultures or customs.'

I have travelled to 6 of the 7 continents with my family in the last 10 years, and I am always fascinated with the differences in the cultures...what they eat, wear and drive, where they live, and what they say!  I have taken photos of signs in many of the countries that tickle my funny bone, or make me pause to consider.  They are so unlike our culture, and yet so similar.  You don't need fiction to make you laugh...the jokes are out there in real life.  Here they are below:


ENGLAND:


                          The Cotswolds, England: Boys will be boys!


The Cotswolds, England: All right...pay up!

 London, England: The Victorian and Albert Museum...Tributes to Man's Best friend.


      The Tower of London (England): While awaiting execution....someone made his mark.





PATAGONIA, ARGENTINA:



                   Haberton Estancia, Gable Island: Think about this one for a minute..




              Peninsula Valdez: This was the exception to the rule in Argentina!





THE MIDDLE EAST:



                            Cana near Bethany, Israel...that's what I call aged wine!



                                               Sea of Galilee, Israel: Say what?


                                                Near Petra, Jordan:  How late?



                                          Sardis, Turkey:  Or is it "Fake Genuine"?



                                 Top of Mt Sinai, Egypt: Frappuccino, Anyone?



                                                Bethlehem, Israel: Stolen Identity



Which one did you enjoy/relate to the most?  Why?

22 comments:

  1. Tough choice here. But I will never go swimmunging in the Sea of Galilee and those fake watches do look genuine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what you will find overseas, Tamara, to make you laugh. One of the enjoyable things about traveling!

      Delete
  2. Okay, I bet your passport is just as lovely. An excellent X post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mina...I hate to part with my passport when it expires. I save them for the memories!

      Delete
  3. I loved all of these photos. Stolen Identity was funny. I saw a lot of those in India. I also visited the tower of London, but that place creeped me out. Very haunted. Very awful place. Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the trip to the Tower was sobering, but that's why I took the photo. I wanted that person's memory to live on, and remind us that we too, must make our mark in life!

      Delete
  4. I thought the "Penalty for not shutting gate" was funny.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Anthony...I got a chuckle out of that one, I could just see a country Marme reminding her son with a waving index finger to "shut the gate"...which is probably why the fine was instituted!!

      Delete
  5. I loved these pics. What fun to travel to these places. Our daughter is going to France in June with Greg Landry Science Academy. It's a mission trip. And we head to Ireland in August. So our trips are just beginning. I love the Genuine Fake watches. Ha ha haaaa. Thank you for the visit and follow over at my place today. Love knowing a fellow homeschooler. *waving*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Robyn...I'm waving back! What a wonderful opportunity for your daughter. I've heard of Greg's trips...I'm sure it will be life changing. Thanks for your visit!

      Delete
  6. What interesting signs. That one sign about not throwing anything in the toilet unless you've eaten it first definitely makes you stop and think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it?! Life is full of humorous situations...we need to be paying attention! Thanks for stopping by Susanne!

      Delete
  7. Love this post! My favorite are the genuine fake watches :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy...some words don't translate in other cultures!

      Delete
  8. Ah what a perfect word - travel on! Funniest - do not throw anything in the toilet unless you have eaten it first. Ridiculously funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to, Elizabeth...God willing! I'll be on the lookout for more signs...

      Delete
  9. Hey! Firstly, thanks for visiting my blog. Also what an interesting topic for X! My favorite ones were "Stars and bucks" and "Genuine Fake Watches". :D
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anjali! Yes, because The city is know for the star that shone over Jesus' manger, I thought the 'Stars and Bucks' concept was very clever! You are welcome for the visit...

      Delete
  10. A fellow xenophile...love travelling. My favourite places are Turkey and Morocco, and nearer home, Thailand.
    Fareeda, Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Turkey, too, Fidel...especially Istanbul!

      Delete
  11. The last one made me laugh. There's a lot of this that foes on in Turkey. The market people all shout out 'Cheaper than Asda Price' or 'Every little helps' (Tesco). I stayed in this one place that even had a New Look, same sign, logo and everything, not clothes though, I'm not sure what they were selling, didn't go in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you have experience it too, Dina...that's a riot! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Only one more day!

      Delete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel