Saturday, May 5, 2012

Getting to Know Me: Another Q and A











I was tagged by Debbie a while ago, from "Writing While the Rice Boils" to host my own "Q and A."  I love name of her blog, and also the fact that she homeschools not only two (like me), but four teens (wow!) and still has time to blog about the craft of writing.  Stop by her blog...she has some very helpful tips and links to share! 


The idea is to answer the following questions on your blog post, and then tag a few bloggers to do the same.

Enjoy!

1. Book or movie and why? 


Although my desire is to read the original (and unabridged, for that matter), time does not allow me to read classics or other literature as I would wish.  So, to avoid being totally ignorant of the works, I will watch an "original movie version" of a book, hoping it's as close to the intent of the author as possible.  There will be a time in my life where I will inhale all the books I have put aside as I have home educated our children.  Fortunately, we have listened to many of their required readings together or listened to them via audiobooks, so all is not lost!

2. Real book or e-book?


Both, but the majority are real books...dozens of them piled under a table, all categorized, waiting to be read.  I have downloaded a few e-books on the craft of writing, but I like to underline and mark up my books for future reference!  I like the e-books for convenience, because I can carry my iPad everywhere, but the real books have my vote for the many-faceted experience of reading that folks have enjoyed through the ages!


3. Funniest thing you've done in the last 5 years? 


While in Patagonia this January, our family had the opportunity to go horseback riding.  No big deal, you say?  Well, that was the problem...the Patagonian horses are enormous, and I was less than graceful in climbing into the saddle. I said to our guide, in an apologetic tone, "Honestly, I really DO know how to mount a horse!" You would have thought I was pulling myself up on the back of an elephant!
On that same trip, I gathered courage to hop over a little glacier stream, as if it were a huge expanse.  I'm afraid of heights and the possibility of  slipping down the icy slope.  So, being less than athletic, it looked rather funny.  Both experiences had my family chuckling!


















4. How would your best friend describe you?


Excited about everything in life (especially when we were younger), and always trying something new...sometimes a fad, sometimes it stuck. I love variety.  While she would order a vanilla ice cream cone, Becky would say that my choice was a 'peanut butter pistachio bubblegum' conglomeration!

5. Do you put yourself into the books you read/write or the movies you watch? 


Come to think of it, subconsciously I do.  I'd love to be the heroine, if her life is lived well.  Or sometimes, I wish to be another character who could warn the heroine, "Wait...don't do that! Be patient...it will all turn out okay."  Any character that could change the course of history in context of the story is whom I would like to be.












fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net
6. Favorite kind of car and why?

I am attracted to the unusual, so, the Nissan cube (in moss green 2010),  a Mini Cooper in reef blue, or VW pea (I found on Pinterest) is my kind of vehicle.  Of course, it would only fit me and one other person, so I will wait until the "empty nest" stage to consider one!


7. Would your choice of party be a catered meal or barbecue out back?


That's a hard one...of course, it would depend on the season here in the Midwest.  I love steak, so let's just say the BBQ.




8. What's your favorite season and why?


My favorite time of year is Spring.  My name "Jarmila" is Slavic, and means 'lover of Spring'.  Yaro, the masculine form of Jarmila was my father's name, so I am left with pleasant memories of him as well as his name!
It's the fresh warmer air after winter that I love, along with the promise of new life.  The budding of flowers and leaves, and the birth of insects, birds and mammals are part of the scene.  It's Creation coming to life anew every year!





9. What specific lesson have you learned - Spiritual, educational, occupational? 




I'm always learning, but, I think in the context of writing, it's the idea that "my time will come."  I need to be faithful in reading and writing what God has ordained for me each day, and He will work out the timing.  My books and articles will be published when it will benefit me, and most importantly, others, the most.  I must be patient!

10. Besides writing, what's your favorite thing to do when you get some extra time? 


I love to travel and visit new places.  It could be a new store or museum; it doesn't need to be exotic.  I also enjoy wandering through boutiques or museum shops, admiring new products and clothing.  Stopping in at our local resale shop is also a relaxing and enjoyable diversion.




11. What's one place you can be found at least one time every week?


Definitely at church...I can't imagine a week without worshipping God and fellowshipping with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Second would be our local library...can't imagine a life without books!

Since I know everyone is quite busy, I will tag only three bloggers, whose posts I enjoyed during the A to Z Blogging Challenge.  They have the privilege of posting a "Q and A" whenever it is convenient...congratulations, ladies!


Pam at "2encourage"
Elizabeth at "31 Days of Devotion"
Bj at  "joy2journey"


10 comments:

  1. Jarm, Thank you so much to posting this insightful look into your life. I, myself, am Czech so it was fun to read of your Slavic background. I will post soon ... and when I am done, will let you know :) Thank you for thinking of me :)
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat is that, BJ...we live in a small world, don't we?? I'll look forward to your post!

      Delete
  2. It's so much fun learning more about you! I love the meaning of your name. And I love resale shops, too.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie...likewise with your Q and A...resale shops can be addicting if I am not careful!

      Delete
  3. Vicki, I can so relate to you! I love how "real" you are and how share your story with your readers in such honest and humble terms. I also loved learning the meaning of your name! I don't know where you saw that car...but that's hilarious! We got a good chuckle out of it! You are in inspiration to me - your trust in God's timing and His providence will most definitely be rewarded. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the gift of encouragement, Daisy! I have never felt comfortable hiding behind a facade...being real is a way of life for me, so, I'm glad it shows. Thanks again for taking the time to visit and comment...

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Jarm, for the shout out here. It was also so good of you to take the time to tell us about yourself. Part of my heart is in the mid-west--my daughter and my two grandsons live in MN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Pam! And, I hope you have plenty of opportunities to visit your family here. Enjoy the Q and A...I'll look forward to reading it.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed these tidbits of getting-to-know-you information. Whenever we have family over we always grill carne asada on our back patio. Doing it this week-end for my father-in-law's 88th birthday.


    Lee
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have some Argentine blood in you,Arlee! We enjoyed our lomo in Buenos Aires. Thanks for the visit...

      Delete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel