Friday, November 2, 2012

T is for Teachers

... A School Alphabet



Authors: Steven L. and Deborah Dover Layne
Illustrator: Doris Ettlinger
Publisher: Sleeping Bear Press
Date: 2005

Ages: 6 through 12

Themes: Education, Teachers, Classrooms, Schools

First lines: Inside every schoolhouse there's much to do and see. Let's looks at all that makes school fun; we'll work from A to Z. A begins our alphabet- the letters that we need to make the words and sentences we want to write and read.

Book Flap: Did you know that "kindergarten" comes from a German word that means, "a garden of children?" Or that "arithmetic" comes from the Greek word arithmos? Now students of every age can get a first-rate education as Sleeping Bear Press goes "back to school" with T is for Teachers: a School Alphabet.

Written in a two-tier format with rhyming text for beginning readers and detailed expository for older students, T is for Teachers gives a guided A to Z tour through a day at school.

Why I like it: Being a former school teacher, and continuing as such in home educating our two teenagers, I like the idea of a book dedicated to our profession! Although most students know what a school day entails, this book would be appropriate for new students, whether kindergarteners or foreign students attending school for the first time. Or, it can be used as a "teacher/staff appreciation" tool to introduce the people who work with students on a daily base.




For crafts and other ideas, check out this link by the publishers:


http://www.sleepingbearpress.com/teachingguides/SchoolGuide.pdf



And, for more great book ideas, categorized by subject for use by teachers, librarians, and parents, see Susanna Hill's Perfect Picture Book list...truly an amazing resource!

16 comments:

  1. Jarm, this sounds like an important book for the classroom. Like that there is an alphabet book dedicated to teachers. Sure to ignite a lot of interaction with kids in class. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pat, I'd love to be a mouse in the corner of a classroom to see how the kids would respond!

      Delete
  2. Love that you are riding an alphabet wave! Looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And although there are many more, I will review one other next week, in honor of Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. I'm a former teacher, too, and a homeschool mom. I love books like these.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such a great book! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Beth...one more alphabet book to go!

      Delete
  5. We have much in common then, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great book for the classroom, Jarm, and also to help our kids understand and appreciate more about teachers. Thanks for adding this interesting title to our list - we don't have anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, Susanna....I'm glad I found something unique!

      Delete
  7. Great choice for PPBF, Jarm! I was a teacher also...and I'm sure I will love this book. I'll try to get a copy...it sounds intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazingly comprehensive in nature. I think you will enjoy it Vivian. Glad to meet another fellow teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jarm, thanks for the recommendation. I like the idea of the two-tier approach, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Laura...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I just love this Sleeping Bear series. I have read quite a few of them, but I haven't read this one yet. It sounds perfect for me since I am a retired teacher :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a perfect book then, Penny. I hope it meets your expectations!

      Delete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel