Thursday, April 18, 2013

Les Misérables: P is for Parol Papers


. . . Or "ticket-of-leave", as the French call it. It seems "once a con, always a con" so, the authorities need to keep track of you.


Photo Source

Jean Valjean knew his past, and hated it. It was time for a fresh start.



"And I stare into the void-
To the whirlpool of my sin.
I'll escape now from the world
From the world of Jean Valjean.
Jean Valjean is nothing now.
Another story must begin!"


One of my favorite scenes in the movie comes after Jean sings the above words. He runs to the edge of the stone wall surrounding the abbey, rips up his parole paper defiantly, and throws them to the wind. The background music was perfect! I actually felt release and relief as I watched the bits of paper float down the mountainside, and I thought of this verse:

Photo Source



"...God made you alive with him when he forgave us all of our offenses, having erased the charges that were brought against us, along with their obligations that were hostile to us. He took those charges away when he nailed them to the cross."

-Colossians 2:13b-14 International Standard Version (©2012)




When we come to the foot of the cross in repentance, Jesus literally rips up our parole papers. Our slate is wiped clean. We can begin anew...



Have you been to the foot of the cross?


2 comments:

  1. Although I haven't seen this movie, I LOVED the book. Victor Hugo is one of my favourite authors, he is amazing. Hopefully the movie does the book justice.

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, it's good to hear from someone who has read the book. Although I have not had the time, it is a goal of mine as soon as my teens graduate and head off to college in a year. You must see this film before it leaves the big screen.
      I have seen two movie versions, and one play, and by far, this one is the best! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel