Friday, June 28, 2013

What Will Your Eulogy Reveal?





Epiphany: a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.





It occurred to me today that Christian funerals are, in some strange way, like Heaven.  We see folks we haven't seen for years, and reconnect.  A eulogy is given, relating all the good things a person has done in the name of Christ.  Beautiful music, most likely the deceased's favorite, is played and sung. Likewise, when we reach heaven's shores we will be reunited with loved ones who have gone before.  We will hear from Christ's lips, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." And we will sing with the angels.



Although we are mourning the physical loss of a loved one, funerals provide us with a benefit.  It causes us to revisit our present and past.  We can ask ourselves, "Do I spend my energy on things that will last for eternity?  Only two things will last forever. . . people and God's Word.









At times, when I see a hearse on the road, trailing a line of vehicles with family and friends paying their last respects, I try to remember to say a prayer for them.  That God would impress upon them the briefness of life.  And the importance of making that life count.


Have you had an epiphany lately? How can you make your life count for eternity?



2 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to hear what people think of your life when they give a eulogy at your funeral. Hopefully it's that the world is a better place because you were in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sherry, that would be my goal. As I get older, I try to eliminate anything worthless or selfish in my life. A daunting task indeed!

      Delete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel