Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Ancient Paths


Photo taken at the Hermitage "The Return of The Prodigal Son" by Rembrandt 


I've been willing myself to think of New Year's resolutions, but something's not working.

Then, I happened to think of the words "ancient path" which I remember reading in a verse a while ago. Strange, I thought, why would I think of the word ANCIENT, when I should be thinking NEW?


It suddenly came together for me this morning as I read these two verses:

Job 12:12
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

Proverbs 22:28
Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.


It's not always about new. Sometimes old is better. In fact many times old is best. The best advice comes from those who have been around the block a few times. And it also comes from Scripture, which has been around even longer.

So, this year, I will let Scripture be my guide. I will read books from the late 1800’s and early 1900’s that have the audacity to talk about the 'right way' to do things; about morals, and precepts and commands and laws. Have we forgotten?

"Stay between the lines. . .the lines are our friends."

I need a few more friends on the straight and narrow road this year. How about you?


4 comments:

  1. Very interesting perspective! I never thought of that. Of course, I'm reading something OLD--reading my way through the Bible. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bible is the best example.;-] A Happy and Blessed New Year to you, Tina!

      Delete
  2. A wonderful post! I agree with you. I have found so many good books that are "ancient but of great value." Andrew Murray ...abiding in Christ. (I'm reading that now)
    The Practice of His Presence. Brother Lawrence ~ one of my favorites! I love the art picture also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a good one to read, Beverly. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel