I've been enlightened!
I'm realizing I can't tackle everything at once. I either do a good job in one area, or so-so in many. I must decide. And the start of a new year is the perfect opportunity!
Below is a list of tasks or goals for the writer which takes him/her from idea to publication. Hopefully, I've listed them in chronological order:
- Finding Ideas/inspiration
- Reading in the genre you wish to write
- Choosing what to write: PBs, early chapter books, Middle Grade and Young Adult Fiction...which one is for you?
- Finding your writer's voice
- Writing the Story:
-Mechanics of writing
- Your schedule/organization of time and environment
- Writer's Workshops
|12x12 in 2012|
- Writer's Challenges
- Finding the right Editor/Publications
- Is an agent in your future?
- Platform/social media
- Promoting your book
I have made the commitment to concentrate on the mechanics of writing this year, and drop all the rest. Not completely, of course. I will still be blogging, continuing to search for the appropriate publications for my manuscripts, and so on, but that will not be my main emphasis.
Do you need to hone your focus? Are you wasting precious time? Pick one area, and make a resolution to concentrate your efforts there...
Can you add any others to my list? Leave them in the comment box below:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!