Saturday, December 29, 2012

Les Misérables: A Reaction


 I was speechless.


source


As the credits were rolling, I sat in my chair unable to move, tears streaming down my face.  I felt as if a ton of bricks were resting on me.  I have seen two movies and one stage production of Les Mis, but none of them had the impact of this one.  I predict it will be nominated in every category at the Academy Awards, and win many. 

 If you are looking for beautiful people singing heartwarming songs, this film is not for you.  Watch "The Sound of Music"instead.  If, on the other hand, you desire food for thought and conversation, and wish to ponder the depravity of man vs. God's grace and mercy towards us, you must see "Les Mis."

But, I would not recommend it for teens, unless you have fully prepared them, and are aware of the visually disturbing scenes involving prostitution.  It should be viewed by a mature audience only in my opinion.

My husband commented that he can't remember when he had seen a more intense film.  "The Passion of the Christ" comes close in my estimation.  I'm still trying to unpack all the nuances and symbolism in this production.  And I will...in another post. 

 Are you with me?



8 comments:

  1. Appreciate the review, Jarm. So good to hear a Christian's perspective on it. Still pondering whether I will go see it. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam...it was certainly a heavy and powerful movie. Even more so on the big screen!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I am so with you! I've been thinking about it since I saw it. I've loved the story for years - I have the liam neeson version, which is excellent, and I saw the stage production years ago. it's powerful EVERY time. The story is just the best. But, I agree, this current movie is overwhelmingly beautiful. I cried through most of it - it just tears at the heart, the suffering, and the mercy. Jackman is SO good, and Hathaway is amazing. I was just blown away. I'm so buying the DVD when it is out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to having a copy, too, Mare. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing this. It looks wonderful. I certainly enjoyed the stage production in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good, I'm almost tempted to see it again!

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see this film it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy...be ready for the overpowering intensity, Charmaine.

      Delete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel