Friday, September 21, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Fridays: How I learned Geography





Since 

a.) my passion is to make Scripture and History come alive for my readers, and 

b.) I am advised to read similar picture books to the ones I plan to write, and 

c.) I've been thinking about joining Susanna Hill's Perfect Picture Book Fridays, and 

d.) I wanted another focus for my posts...


Here is my first contribution to PERFECT PICTURE BOOK FRIDAYS!


Each Friday, I will feature a fiction picture book based on true events to preview for teachers, librarians, parents and writers...and now, on to an author who's text and illustrations fascinate me:

Ta-DA!



Title: How I Learned Geography
Author/Illustrator: Uri Shulevitz
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux
Year: 2008
Caldecott Award Winner

Biographical Fiction: 7-10 year olds

Themes: Geography, Family, Moving to a strange land, Russian language, Maps, Kazakhstan, building character.

Summary: As he spends hours studying his father's world map, a young boy escapes the hunger and misery of refugee life: Based on the author's childhood in Kazakhstan, where he lived as a Polish refugee during World War II.

Why I like this bookIt is based on a historic event, and is a look into the author's life.  The illustrations are vibrant and inviting, reflecting the Russian/Middle East culture.


Here are some helpful websites for activities relating to the subject of the book:




Geography


http://www.enchantedlearning.com/geography/

http://www.teachervision.fen.com/geography/teacher-resources/6642.html

http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/kids-geography-activities/

http://www.mrdonn.org/geography.html


Russian Language


http://www.digitaldialects.com/Russian.htm

http://countries.mrdonn.org/russia.html



Have you ever moved far from your home?  How did you feel?

16 comments:

  1. I love stories that introduce children to important historical events. The book cover is colorful and engaging. Great choice to teach about refugee camps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I hope you will enjoy my future posts, Patricia. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. The cover is so colorful and engaging. I love that it is educational and based on a historic event. Will have to add this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Darshana! I, too, am drawn to the illustrations as well as the subject matter. Both are a plus. Look for more of Uri's books in future posts...they captivate me!

      Delete
  3. What an intriguing-sounding book, Jarm -- and what a way to escape from the realities of refugee life! I can see that this would be a fantastic discussion starter with kids.

    Thanks for sharing this book, and welcome to PPBF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his father's clever idea was a blessing in disguise. Thanks for your encouragement, Beth...I'm looking forward to sharing my finds with you all!

      Delete
  4. I just love picture books that are written with older kids in mind. Thanks for sharing this fascinating book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Amy...there's more to come. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love maps and geography. What a great book!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Debbie. The only way I learn my geography is to travel...that's why I'm constantly on the go!

      Delete
  6. Welcome, Jarm! I am sad to say I have not read this book, so I appreciate the recommendation. I think I need to dig out those Caldecott lists and start reading everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsten! I love good illustrations, since I am a visual learner. I realize how many books I have not read, now that I am participating in PPBF...it's good to be on board!

      Delete
  7. Jarm! I'm so sorry to be the last one here on your first day posting! Please forgive me - I'm a wee bit over-scheduled these days it seems! You did a brilliant job, and I love your book choice. You can't beat Uri Shulevitz! This looks like an excellent addition to our list, and I'm looking forward to your upcoming choices given your interests! Thanks so much for joining us on PPBF :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't worry, Susanna...we all have days like that! I'm grateful to be a part of PPBF. I'm enjoying my newly discovered PBs! Thanks for your input, and creation of this helpful project...

      Delete
  8. Jarm...so happy you have joined PPBF...with such an unique focus for the books you review. I love historical books for kids...this one looks amazing! Thank you for a great review...and for the resource list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are welcome, Vivian...I'm looking forward to sharing all the great books I have discovered. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel