Friday, September 20, 2013

Perfect Picture Book Friday has begun: "Falcon"


Happy Fall, y'all!


Source


Welcome back to Perfect Picture Book Fridays, where we review picture books which we deem worthy of mention.  This concept was created by Susanna Hill, and is a helpful resource for librarians, teachers and parents.  For a list of all books reviewed so far, along with activities to complement them, click here.








Author/Illustrator: Tim Jessel
Publisher: Random House
Date: 2012

Ages: 7-10

Themes: birds-of-prey, falcons, flying, imagination

First lines: "If I were a falcon. . . I would ride the north wind to faraway places. With the sound of tearing paper, my wings would slice though the air."

Why I like this book: Mr. Jessel's illustrations are realistic but gentle. You can almost feel the texture of the birds feathers, or sense the cold on the mountains of snow. Every child likes to make believe, so this would be a perfect book to foster the imagination.


Links to activities related to the book:



Find out more about Tim's illustrations here. . . He shows the steps in creating them!

Review of Falcon here. 

Facts about the falcon here.




Amazing video of the falcon's dive here, if you can't access it below:





Have you ever seen a Peregrine Falcon diving??



12 comments:

  1. We have had a LOT of raptors around this year. Entrails in the lawn--Yuk! Maybe that means there are (were?) a lot of mice and rabbits? Looks like a great book to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen entrails (thank goodness), but I have seen the raptors on tollway light posts and trees, waiting for a kill! Although this book doesn't go into the topic deeply, it does give you a sense of the bird and its life. Thanks for stopping by, Wendy!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a superb book. Thanks especially for the link to Tim's process. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it, Joanne? Makes me wish I were an illustrator!

      Delete
  3. This looks like a wonderful nonfiction picture book, Jarm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanna! I'd love to write one someday, so this is a good example of a fictional account of a non-fiction topic. Don't quite know how to categorize it.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I know Jessel. This looks like a great title about birds of prey. It seems like it is fiction rather than nonfiction? Thanks Jarm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe it would be considered fiction based on fact. I should add that on the post. Thanks for the reminder. . .and stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Jarm! This book looks gorgeous! I'm dying to read it! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Susanna . . . I love the illustrations! So realistic. . .

      Delete
  6. What magnificent artwork! This is a gem and I like the use of the boy's imagination along with the flight of the falcon. Beautiful selection!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel