Friday, September 27, 2013

PPBF: "The Bravest Woman in America"


Welcome again to Perfect Picture Book Fridays, where we review picture books which we deem worthy of mention.  This concept was created by Susanna Hill, and is a helpful resource for librarians, teachers and parents.  For a list of all books reviewed so far, along with activities to complement them, click here.



Source
Author: Marissa Moss

Illustrator: Andrea U'Ren
Publisher: Tricycle Press
Date: 2011

Ages: 6-10

Category: Biographical Fiction

Themes: lighthouses, lighthouse keepers, heroines

First two pages: "Ida loved the sea.  She loved it when it was calm and coppery in the sunlight.  She loved it when it was wild with froth, like a herd of stampeding horses.  She loved the crash of the waves, the screech of gulls wheeling overhead, the bite of salt in her nose as she breathed in the ocean air.  She loved it all."

On Back Cover: Based on the true story of Ida Lewis, who was dubbed "the Bravest Woman in America" and who was recognized with the Congressional Life Saving Medal and the American Cross of Honor, this inspiring and unforgettable tale of courage and real-life heroism is a tribute to brave women everywhere.

Why I like this book: It's a charming story with illustrations created with watercolors. . .the perfect medium to depict the sea and splashes of the waves. The last page gives a brief bio. . .I discovered that Ida officially saved 18 lives during her lifetime.  Since I love New England, I resonate with this story set in Newport, RI.  Anything having to do with the sea is fascinating to me.  In fact, I was just telling my husband that I would love to sell all my belongings, purchase a used sea-worthy vessel, and travel the world.  Just a dream, of course!


Basic information from Wikipedia here. and more facts here.

 Evidently a film is being made based on Ida's story.  Find information on it here.

Here is further info and a photo taken of Ida in her younger days.


You can find specifics of the lighthouse, and history in general, here.


Activity for kids relating to lighthouse keepers here.


Lighthouse trivia here, and Lighthouse jokes here.



"Neptune's Car: Lighthouse Keeper" song on YouTube:






Video of Paula, a lighthouse keeper in Finland, here.



16 comments:

  1. Thanks, I will definitely be looking for this - the cover is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover on this book pulls me right in. I'd like to think there are other brave women-so I'm not loving the title-but I will definitely look to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Wendy! Throughout the years there have been many brave women whose story should be told.

      Delete
  3. A civil war heroine -- remarkable. I watched the video trailer for the movie and was in awe -- it's nice to know even President Grant admired and visited her. Her story of courage and compassion for helping, makes for a beautiful story. Strong cover. Will look for this book. Love the choice Jarm. And thank you for sharing the resources and videos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at the title. This sounds like my kind of book: the art, the subject, the genre. What a great choice, thanks. It is going right on my "to get" list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books based on real people and I might have to have a go at painting that cover. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Catherine, the cover illustration would be a perfect one to attempt to reproduce. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. This looks terrific, Jarm! I love inspiring stories about strong women. I wondered at first if she was from Nantucket - she could have been :) - but apparently it was RI. Thanks for sharing this one - it looks interesting and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't I wish. . .Nantucket is my favorite island in the US!

      Delete
  7. I know nothing of Ida's story now I am eager to find out. great recommendation, Jarm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of her. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Darshana. . .I'm sure there are many women in history who could be called brave!

      Delete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel