Monday, April 15, 2013

Les Misérables: M is for Marius


Deuteronomy 30:19


. . . I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live . . .


Photo Source

Marius. Of course he is handsome. The younger crowd who watched the film surely thought so. But, what of his character? Could he compared to Jean Valjean? Hardly!

He comes from a privileged background. His family is wealthy. He has had the best of educations. As far as we know, he has not had many trials in his life. Those of you who have read the book, please chime in if you know otherwise. I plan to read the book soon, but will count on my audience for that detail.

As we have mentioned before, trials build character, and although Marius is a very sensitive character, he seems "wishy-washy". He can't decide what is most important to him in life.  He wavers between dying for France and living for his first love.  If it weren't for Jean Valjean, he would not have survived the battle at the barricade.  Everything seems to fall in place for him without much effort on his part.


Are there areas in life where you are "wishy-washy? Do you wish you were stronger in your stance?



2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I have a difficult time making a decision when I get overwhelmed by the pros and cons. How important are the pros or the cons? Which con overrides which pro, etc. I can make decisions, I just dislike those times when I am too bogged down by the variables to move forward.

    Enjoyed your post, thank you for visiting my blog, and happy A to Z to you as well!

    By the way, I love Les Mis. Phantom of the Opera is probably my most favorite musical, but Les Mis is a close second. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Wendy. Making tough choices is never easy. I'm so glad I have The Lord to help me. I'm glad Les Misérables is a favorite of yours!

      Delete

I would love to have you comment...thanks!

Journey into the Promised Land

Journey into the Promised Land
From Egypt to Israel